This article is relevant for users on Extend and Enterprise plans.
What does the VETtrak Integration do?
The VETtrak Integration provides a method to share information on courses, enrolments and results between the VETtrak Student Management System (SMS) and Coassemble LMS.
This works by:
- Periodically importing VETtrak Occurrences as Coassemble LMS Courses
- Creating Coassemble users based on the corresponding Enrolments
- Notifying VETtrak SMS when an Coassemble Course is completed
The VETtrak Integration feature is available to Coassemble customers on the Enterprise plan, together with an appropriate VETTrak Enterprise account and instance: contact your VETTrak support technical support to ensure that access to their API is available.
How to use this Guide
This user guide describes features specific to the Coassemble VETtrak Integration feature. It does not cover any features that form part of the base VETtrak SMS, the VETtrak portal products or other addons for VETtrak. Support information for these features and products can be found in the VETtrak Customer Centre at https://auth.vettrak.com.au/
Configuration in Coassemble LMS
The basic setup periodically imports Occurrence and Enrolment data from VETtrak and creates corresponding Course and User items within Coassemble LMS.
At the time of writing:
- the import occurs daily at approximately 0600h and 1800h AEST
- the number of Occurrences imported is limited to 20 per attempt
Locate the VETtrak Integration settings
To start using this feature, the VETtrak service URL and security credentials must be specified.
- From the Coassemble Profile dropdown, select Integrations
- On the Integrations screen, open the Advanced tab
- Find the Advanced tab, VETtrak group and click Show More
- Set the Enable the periodic import switch to ON
Configure the VETtrak API User
- Enter the VETtrak API WSDL URL. This can be located in the VETtrak SMS.
- Enter the Username and Password for API access. This can be located in the VETtrak SMS.
- Enter a Default timezone for new members and group. At the time of writing these must be manually entered. Timezones for Australia can be found below.
- Click the Test button to attempt to connect to the VETtrak server.
- A feedback panel will display above the Log information. If an error occurs, check the fields above are correct. If the error recurs, contact VETtrak support for assistance.
- Click the Save button to store the details for your account.
If the test succeeds, then the basic setup is complete. New VETtrak Occurrences and Enrolments will be added to Coassemble at the scheduled times as noted in the introduction.
Each time the periodic import is done, the Log panel will show details of the progress:
Enable result reporting
With this option enabled, Coassemble will send a Result to the VETtrak SMS when a participant successfully completes all modules within a course.
To enable result reporting:
- On the Campus Settings page, go to the VETtrak Integration settings section.
- Set the Enable result reporting switch to ON.
- Set the Result Type to suit the VETtrak Occurrence.
Recording Commencement date
With this option enabled, Coassemble will write a date of commencement to the Comment field of the VETtrak enrolment.
- Set the Update Enrolment Comment with Commencement date switch as required
Note: this will overwrite any existing comment on the enrolment.
Linking Coassemble Courses with VETtrak Units
In order to perform automatic enrolment and reporting of results, the VETtrak Integration feature relies on matching the National Code of a VETtrak Unit with the Course Code of the Coassemble Course. That is:
- the VETtrak Unit: National Code must match the Coassemble Course: Course Code
To do this, the following must be done:
- Set National Code of a Unit in VETtrak
- Enable Resource Codes in Coassemble
- Set Resource Code of a Course in Coassemble
Set National Code of a Unit in VETtrak
A common step in the setup process of the VETtrak SMS is to specify a unique National Code with each Unit of study. To view or set the code:
- Edit the desired Unit (eg. using the Unit/Module Wizard)
- If no National Code is specified, then enter a unique code
This National Code will also need to be specified on the matching Coassemble Course, as specified in the following sections.
Enable Resource Codes in Coassemble
The Resource Codes feature allows the specification of a unique code that corresponds to Course resources.
To enable this feature:
- In Coassemble, go to the Campus Settings page
- Set the Resource Codes switch to ON
Set Resource Code of a Course in Coassemble
With Resource Codes enabled, a unique course code can be set via Coassemble. To do this:
- Go to the Course Overview screen for the desired course
- Enter a unique alphanumeric code in the Code input
- Click the Save button
Once this Course Resource Code has been specified to match the corresponding VETtrak National Code, the VETtrak Integration feature will import Enrolments.
Verifying the imported data
With all of the required setup complete, we can verify that the import has succeeded by viewing the Enrolments tab of a given Course:
- the VETtrak Enrolments will appear as Coassemble Users
- the Group name will be the same as the corresponding Occurrence in VETtrak
An example walkthrough
Let's assume that we have a VETtrak setup as follows:
- There is a Unit called Introduction to Statistics with National Code IST101
- This Unit is part of two Occurrences: Term 1 and Term 2
- The Term 1 Occurrence has two Enrolments: John and Julie
- The Term 2 Occurrence has two Enrolments: Bob and Barbara
And the corresponding Coassemble setup:
- A Course named Introduction to Statistics exists with Resource Code IST101
- This Course has no other corresponding properties to the VETtrak setup
The next time the VETtrak periodic import occurs:
- the Introduction to Statistics Course in Coassemble will have two Groups named Term 1 and Term 2 (corresponding to VETtrak Occurrences)
- the Group Term 1 will have Users John and Julie, Term 2 will have Users Bob and Barbara
A typical setup in VETtrak has several Units in a Programme: all Units in the Programme will be matched to Courses in Coassemble; furthermore those Courses will be linked to a single Coassemble Group corresponding to the Occurrence.
Commencements and results for Coassemble Courses will be updated in VETtrak depending on the Integration setup in Coassemble Campus Settings.
For more information please contact the team at Coassemble Customer Success.